21 July 2012

The Everything to Everyone Frittata

It's hard to buy vegetables for two, so it often happens at my house that dinner ends, and there is still a cup of vegetables leftover, too much to feel justified throwing away, but not enough to do anything with.

Last night the leftover vegetable was broccoli and cheese. Perfect broccoli and cheese. Not so much cheese we ended up with broccoli and cheese soup. Not so much broccoli we couldn't taste the cheese. I'd been trying to get this recipe right for weeks, and with all that effort, I wasn't about to just throw it away, so I packed it up and put it in the fridge, hoping for inspiration. 

Then, it hit me this morning. Frittata. 

I'd never made a frittata, though I'd meant to. Almost every cookbook I own has a recipe for it, but most of them call for specific vegetables, and I never have chard or the desire to slice potatoes really thin first thing in the morning. It took looking through three cookbooks to figure out how to put together a frittata with the fillings I had on hand. 

I love this recipe because it uses up all the little bits and pieces that tend to accumulate in the fridge, you can put whatever filling you want in it and it's easy to scale: 1 cup of filling to three eggs. Chard strictly optional.


The Everything to Everyone Frittata
Ingredients:

1 cup of cooked vegetables and/or meat
3 eggs, beaten
~1 T. oil

Preheat the broiler and heat oil in an 8 inch oven proof skillet over low heat. (I used cast iron.) You'll want the filling and the eggs to cover the skillet, .5-1 inch in the skillet.

Add filling to the skillet, stir until heated through.

Pour in eggs. Wait for them to begin to set and scrape the cooked egg into the middle being careful to not end up with a big pile of filling in the middle of the pan.

When the eggs are mostly set, slide the skillet under the broiler and cook until the top is just beginning to brown, approximately 2 minutes.

Serves 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment